Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Why Does God Let Bad Things Happen?

While the Littles (my two youngest children) and I played at the park earlier this week, a young boy fell and hit his head on the metal edge of a ramp. Like most head wounds, it bled profusely and his dad led him, crying and holding his head with blood-stained hands, into the bathroom for paper towels to staunch the flow of blood.

"Why does God let bad things happen?" asked Caden, scrunching up one eye and gritting his teeth at the thought of the pain the other boy had experienced.

"Sometimes when we disobey we get hurt," he said, before I could answer.

I struggled with how to explain this deep question, one that adults wrestle with, to a 7 year old. If God is good, and if God loves us, why does He allow bad things to happen? Yes, we live in a fallen world. Yes, our choices sometimes lead to painful consequences. I also didn't want my son to think that bad things only happen when we disobey--sometimes, bad things happen that aren't anybody's fault.

"That is true," I agreed. "But sometimes accidents or other bad things happen even when we ARE obeying, Sweetie. I don't think that boy was disobeying his dad, he was just playing and he fell. Even though God allows bad things to happen, He is right there with us, to love us and help us through them."

"In heaven there won't be any accidents or any crying. Or bees!" he answered emphatically.

"That's right" I replied.


As I think back on the conversation, two scriptures come to mind--Romans 8:28 and John 9:1-3

Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose." (NIV)

In John 9, Jesus and the disciples saw a blind man as they were walking. The disciples assumed the blindness was a consequence of sin and asked, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

Jesus' beautiful reply? "Neither this man nor his parents sinned . . . but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." Then Jesus healed the man.

I know I have heard more detailed explanations to this question in the past, and theologians could lay out scripture upon scripture regarding the topic.

But for me, as for a child, knowing that God is present with us through bad circumstances and knowing that He works for our good in the midst of all things is sufficient.

And I pray that the work of God may be displayed in and through our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment