Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Time to Fish or Time to Wait?

Maggie shopping for a fish


Now that I have an adult son I think more carefully about the decisions I make, especially financial ones. What will my choices say to him? How will they impact the decisions he makes?

For instance, a video-creating site I wanted to join sent an email with a 20% off code last week. I'd wanted to get a membership, and knew they would probably offer a discount at some point. I was tempted to jump in and begin the membership right then, even though it was two days before I had the money on hand. What's a credit card for, right? And there's no interest due if paid the same month . . . .

And yet, if I set that precedent before my son, what will it create in his mind? An impetus to "get it now" that could lead to him becoming thousands of dollars in debt like the majority of Americans? At 18, he's already surrounded by people who haven't yet grown in wisdom. My example will either help nudge him towards wisdom or towards folly.

So I waited patiently--for two looooong days--and purchased the membership the old-fashioned way. The way that didn't involve the regret of "I just had to have it and didn't want to wait."

I doubt that he consciously noticed my choice, but I am setting the precedent, one decision at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Bernice,
    That's such a coincidence. I was staring at credit card offers on the computer screen this Monday. My husband is going to college this year, and we needed to purchase his books. I thought about applying for a card and putting the books on that, knowing I could pay for them on Friday. BUT I DIDN'T go through with it. Instead, I trusted God for provision, and my husband had JUST ENOUGH left of his grant to buy his books with. Amazing God we serve! And a great example you've given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alycia-
    That's so awesome!! I love how God provides for His children (us :-))! It's always timely, always sufficient, always a reminder of His loving care for us.

    I'm praising God right alongside you--woot, woot!

    Thank you for sharing; it brightened my day :-)

    ReplyDelete